Friday, December 28, 2007

Post Christmas Letdown

Every year when Christmas rolls around, I start to dread it being over. It goes all the way back to when I was a kid and Christmas night would bring this terrible gloom crashing down on top of me. It still happens, but in varying degrees from year to year.

Since I've had my current job (12 years in June) I have always taken time off between Christmas and New Year's. Not much goes on at the office so no one misses me or needs anything in particular. Taking that time off helps stave off the gloom to a certain extent, although not completely.

During the break, I spend the time with the family and it was always great to play with my boys. I realized this year, that my boys have no particular interest in me or what I'm doing anymore. It's not like they're hostile, but they have their own things to do on their own timetable. This usually does not include me. They don't get toys anymore so they don't need help building anything. We always used to get Legos or Knex for them and it was a blast putting together different designs. It's a natural thing of course for one's children to distance themselves from you as a parent, but it doesn't make it any easier. It's not like they are babies (they are 20, 18 and 13), but I miss them even though I see them everyday.

1 comment:

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Wanna borrow a couple of young boys? Well, until they're totally potty trained, then ya gotta give them back.