Sunday, March 25, 2007

Taxman, Mr. Thief!

So, I quit procrastinating and did my taxes yesterday. Ouch! I'm getting nailed. Last year between what I got back in State and owed in Federal, it was about a wash, but this year I made a little extra freelance money and my estimated tax payments didn't cover it. Plus, my son John no longer qualifies for the $1,000 child tax credit because he's now 17. Since when is 17 not still a child? Plus he turned 17 on December 24, so shouldn't they at least pro-rate the credit?

I know taxes are a necessary evil, but holy smoke. It's not like I'm rolling in the money. I make a good 30K/year less than the average here in this county. Could I be a better money manager? Sure. However, I think it kind of becomes a disincentive to earn extra money if you get hit so hard. Oh, well. Onward and upward, but it would be a lot easier to pay taxes if I knew they weren't wasting so much on inflated government salaries and pointless programs.

No comments: